ND man gets 10 years for bar shooting rampage
MINOT, N.D. -- A 26-year-old Minot man will serve about 10 years in prison for shooting two men outside a Minot bar with a high powered rifle in October 2016 and dealing drugs in Minot earlier that year.
Steven Dolorenzo Stewart pleaded guilty Tuesday to Class A felony attempted murder and one count of Class C felony reckless endangerment for the Sports on Tap shooting on Oct. 29, 2016, and to two Class B felonies for dealing cocaine and oxycodone in Minot in March 2016. The case had been scheduled to go to trial on Jan. 10. It was a binding plea deal.
Stewart was also ordered to pay $55,087 in restitution to the attempted murder victim and restitution of $23,773 to the second shooting victim.
Stewart told Judge Todd Cresap on Tuesday he isn't happy with the sentence.
"I just feel like I was forced to take it," he said.
He also disputes the state's account of the shooting.
According to court documents, Stewart shot a bystander, Deion Louden, in the lower abdomen and left wrist, and shot Newsy Davis, a man whom he had been involved in a disagreement with earlier that evening, in the leg. He had also been accused of firing into a crowd of 50 to 75 people with an AK-47 rifle. Stewart contends that Davis lifted his shirt and showed him a gun on the dance floor of the Sports on Tap bar and people followed him outside the bar. He was trying to protect the people he was with when he fired the shots.
"You shot those people, correct?" Cresap asked Stewart.
"In an attempt to protect myself and the people that were with me," Stewart responded.
Ward County Deputy State's Attorney Kelly Dillon said Stewart fired 12 rounds with a high-powered rifle into a crowd of people, which is why he was charged with attempted murder.
Stewart fled following the shooting at Sports on Tap. He was captured in Las Vegas in March 2017 and later returned to Minot.